Counselor in Training Program
Our best leaders come from within
If you're a sophomore in high school this year, you could be a CIT at Camp Owatonna this summer!
Our CIT program supports the transition from camper to counselor by offering you new responsibilities, challenges, and adventures.
Highlights include a five-day wilderness experience, a lifesaving course, a team-building service project, Flag Trip, team leadership, and bonding with a group of leaders who you will never forget. Throughout the summer you will have the opportunity to live in a cabin with campers and assist the counselors. In addition, you will help teach one or two activities during the day.
Being a CIT at Owatonna is a transforming experience filled with fun, great friends, and lifelong memories!
CIT Program Overview:
Our CIT program focuses on developing strong leaders through training, discussion, observation and practice. This program is for teens serious about working with children and improving their leadership skills. The most important part of this training program is the hands on experience CITs receive serving and learning to lead others. Upon completion of the CIT program, participants are better prepared to work with their peers and children of all ages, interests, and abilities. Graduates develop life skills and a strong work ethic that can be used in other aspects of life.
This program is designed for individuals who are:
- Eager and committed to becoming stronger leaders
- Interested in developing teaching skills and earning activity certifications
- Interested in working with children
- Entering his or her junior year in high school in the coming fall
Note: Campers new to camp are also encouraged to apply
- Spiritual growth
- Enhanced leadership skills
- Improved counseling skills
- Improved teaching methods
- Developed trip planning & execution skills
- Understanding of the value of service
- Completed Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course
- Developed Junior Maine Guide skills
- Practicing hands-on leadership
- Leading camp teams
- Team building activities
- Activity & program assistance
- Camp community service project
- Flag Trip
- 5-day wilderness trip
- Day trips
- Small-craft boating safety (camp certification)
- Lifeguard training (LGT certification)
- Junior Maine Guide training (JMG certification - optional)